Raja Muhammad Sarwar was born in a small village, Singhori, that was located in the vicinity of the Gujar Khan Tehsil, Rawalpindi District, Punjab in British India on 10 November 1910. He was a military brat whose father, Raja Muhammad Hayat Khan Bhatti, was an British Indian Army Havildar.
He received his early education from government schools in Rawalpindi. After graduation, he followed his father’s footsteps and joined the Army as a Sepoy in 1929. From 1929 until 1939, he worked very hard towards reaching the one of the highest enlisted ranks and was eventually promoted as the Naib Subedar.
In 1939, he was invited to attend the British Indian Military Academy in Dehradun where he completed his military training. Latter he gained commission in the 2nd Battalion of the Punjab Regiment, British Indian Army in 1943. In 1944, 2nd-Lt. Sarwar briefly served with distinction in Burma and earned the Burma Star by the British administrations in Delhi, British India.
In 1946–47, he was promoted to the rank of army captain. At that time he decided to attend the signal course before Capt. Sarwar was recommissioned in the Pakistan Army, Corps of Signals in 1947. He completed his signals course after an year. In 1948, Capt. Sarwar took over the command of the 2nd Battalion of the Punjab Regiment, Pakistan Army, the same unit he was commissioned.
After joining his unit at Uri sector, Captain Sarwar Khan was appointed as the Company Commander. He led successful attacks on Indian army inflicting heavy damages to the enemy. On the fateful night of July 27, 1948, Captain Sarwar Khan launched an attack on the strongly fortified position of enemy at the Uri sector. Enemy responded with heavy machine gun and mortar fire but he and his men made their way through barbed wire barrier which was hindering their movement. In this process, Captain Muhammad Sarwar Khan received a burst of fire at his chest and embraced martyrdom.
The body of Captain Sarwar is buried at the Hill of Tilpatra which is near the Uri in Indian Occupied Kashmir. On 23 March of 1956, the Government of Pakistan recognized his services awarded him the Nishan-E-Haider.
In 1967, the federal government established the marble tomb in his memory to offer remembrance of his career near Mandra.